Because of Trump’s announcement that DACA will terminate in six months, all current DACA recipients must re-apply by October 5, 2017 in order to get a two-year renewal. Numerous immigration organizations are holding workshops to help with this process.
HACES in Waukegan has scheduled the following dates and times where volunteers are needed:
- Thursdays Sept. 14, 21, 28 from 1 PM to 7 PM
- Saturday, Sept. 16 from 9 AM to 1 PM with a training session beginning at 8 AM
If you are interested in volunteering, contact HACES at 847-244- 0300 or Maria Elena Jonas at email@example.com. HACES is located at 820 WS. Greenwood in Waukegan. You can also contact me, Holly Kerr, at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Take Action Now to Protect Dreamers
Trump dealt a stunning blow to Dreamers last week when he announced the DACA program will be phased out by March 6th, 2018. But many DACA and would-be DACA recipients are vulnerable now. Take a few minutes to make some calls to show your support for America’s Dreamers:
Sen. Tammy Duckworth: 202-224-2854
Sen. Dick Durbin: 202-224-2152
Rep Brad Schneider: 202-225-4835
Durbin: Thank you for sponsoring the Dream Act S.1615. Please continue your hard work pushing this legislation through Congress. I support this bill, and stand with you and our nation’s Dreamers.
Trump is poised to let DACA expire and is making a statement on Tuesday, 9/5.
If this happens then 800,000 young immigrants, who have lived in the U.S. since childhood, will lose jobs, be forced out of college, and face the risk of immediate deportation. We can’t let that happen. Here’s how you can help:
- Call your MoCs and let them know that taking legal status away from these brave young DACA recipients so Trump can deport them is immoral and wrong. Here’s more for your message: http://bit.ly/2vTH0qP
- Call the @HouseGOP and @SenateGOP. Tell them they have a choice: side w/ 800,000+ young immigrants and protect them… or uphold Trump’s hate agenda. Ask them which side of history they want to be on. You’ll find key GOP phone numbers at defenddaca.com. Call them.
- Attend the press conference following Trump’s announcement on Tuesday, 9/5 at the Federal Plaza at 5:30.
Please stand up for our nation’s Dreamers.
The Illinois TRUST Act (SB 31) has been signed by Gov. Rauner
The TRUST Act is now the national gold standard as it is the strongest statewide immigrant deportation protection policy in the country.
The TRUST Act will:
- Provide critical protection from deportation for Illinois residents by preventing local police from stopping, searching, or arresting anyone based solely on that person’s immigration status
- Uphold basic requirements under our Bill of Rights by requiring a warrant issued by a judge before anyone can be arrested and jailed for immigration purposes
- Ensure that local residents can interact with police without fear that they will end up in deportation proceedings
This historic victory is due to the incredible work of 85+ member organizations from throughout Illinois through the Campaign for a Welcoming Illinois. Together we have demonstrated what we can achieve when we come together in struggle for justice.
By Holly K.
Immigrants are our neighbors and shouldn’t have to live in fear. Please call Gov. Rauner today.
Here’s the script:
My name is ___. I am an Illinois resident. I’d like to thank the Governor for his commitment to sign the TRUST Act, and ask that he sign the bill immediately. Thank you.