If Trump’s lieutenants at the EPA succeed, we will be left with do-nothing standards for power plants and vehicles, no limits at all on methane from oil and gas, and new hurdles for curbing climate pollution from other industries.
GE has said it’s committed to the Paris climate agreement, yet it’s planning to build over a dozen new coal-fired power plants around the world using outdated coal technology that they cannot convince Americans to buy. If built, these coal plants will lock in decades of fossil fuel dependence and dangerous air pollution at a time when we need bold climate action to forestall the worst impacts of the climate crisis.
to call on GE CEO Lawrence Culp Jr. to immediately end GE’s involvement in these coal plants, end its investments in ALL coal projects, and prioritize its clean energy technology moving forward.
Urge your Congressional Representative to vote YES to crucial bills to strengthen protections for our country’s public lands and waters from reckless oil and gas drilling.
- Arctic Refuge Cultural and Coastal Plain Act (HR 1146)
- Coastal and Marine Economies Protection Act (HR 1941
- Protecting and Securing Florida’s Coastline Act of 2019 (HR 205)
The familiar refrain is often, “What can I do?” often accompanied by some hand wringing about the state of our democracy. For starters, here are some remarkable resources.
Just remember: You can’t do everything. But you can do something. Put a stake in the ground and get to work:
The AoC Checklist features clear, well-researched actions for Americans who value democracy, equality, voting, and respect. To stay engaged through challenging times, we practice gratitude, self-care, and celebration.
5 Calls is the easiest and most effective way for citizens to make an impact in national and local politics
Small Deeds Done (are better than great deeds planned)
So let’s break the work down! Let’s make it manageable. Small actions are not insignificant. A grand master plan means nothing unless someone (like you) takes the small steps that need to happen to make it a reality.
And that’s what Small Deeds is all about. It’s about each of us taking regular, small steps – that together lead to massive, crushing, world-bending change.
Oppose IL HB2425/SB1336 which threaten endangered species
Email your IL Senator & Representative
Tell the Army Corps that You Oppose the Mine!
The Trump administration is recklessly rushing the approval of the Pebble Mine, the highly controversial gold and copper mine proposed for Alaska’s pristine Bristol Bay. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers recently released a draft environmental impact statement that completely ignores potential catastrophic wildlife destruction and impacts to local commercial fisheries. You can put pressure on the Army Corps by telling them to reject the Pebble Mine proposal.
Email the Army Corps during Public Comment Period ending May 30
Urge your US House Rep to cosponsor the Act
Email your U.S. House Representative
Email Charmin here
Canada’s boreal forest, known as the Amazon of the North, is being cut down to make toilet paper — threatening our climate, Indigenous communities, and the wildlife.
Get buyer’s guide here
This is a pdf. Scroll to page 4, or 24-25 for rankings of toilet paper, paper towels, and facial tissue.
Infamous HB 1633:
- Squashes protests with heavy penalties
- Responds to Standing Rock protests
- Supported by American Petroleum Institute, Koch Industries, Energy Transfer Partners
- Opposed by ACLU, Chicago Committee to Defend the Bill of Rights, Greenpeace, Save Our Illinois Land, National Lawyers Guild
- Read more HERE
Contact your IL Representatives:
- 51st District, Mary Edly-Allen, Email, Springfield: 217-782-3696, Libertyville: 224-206-7647
- 58th District, Bob Morgan, Email, Springfield: 217-782-0902, Highwood: 847-681-8580
- 59th District, Daniel Didech, Email, Springfield: 217-782-0499, Buffalo Grove: 847-478-9909
- 60th District, Rita Mayfield, Email, Springfield: 217-558-1012, Waukegan: 847-599-2800
- 61st District, Joyce Mason, Email, Springfield: 217-782-8151, Gurnee: 847-855-8600
- 62nd District, Sam Yingling, Email, Springfield: 217-782-1664 Round Lake Beach: 847-231-6262