Calls Week of November 6
Before you make those calls: Read our Blog post on being an efficient caller.
Representative Schneider and Senators Duckworth and Durbin this week:
Tell Representative Schneider*:
- Advocate for the economic rights of our poorest neighbors
- Advocate for poor Americans who make less than $18,600 per year and for middle class families who stand to lose tax benefits
- Thank Representative Schneider for speaking out on this issue in his statement.
Tell your Representative and Senators*:
Tell your Senators*:
- Support a clean DREAM act
- Thank Senator Durbin for Co-sponsoring the bill.
- Urge Senator Duckworth to become a co-sponsor.
- Oppose the nomination of Thomas Farr to a lifetime appointment to the US District Court
- Hundreds of civil rights groups oppose him because of his demonstrated opposition to voting rights, workers’ rights, and civil rights. This appointment is dangerous for democracy.
- Urge Senators Duckworth and Durbin to vote “No” on this nomination
*Q: Why do I tell my Representative and Senators different lists of issues? Why don’t I read them all the same script?
A: Because certain responsibilities originate in the House of Representative (tax bills start there) and other responsibilities originate in the Senate (confirmations of appointees).
Continue reading “Legislator Calls: November 6, 2017”
Because of Trump’s announcement that DACA will terminate in six months, all current DACA recipients must re-apply by October 5, 2017 in order to get a two-year renewal. Numerous immigration organizations are holding workshops to help with this process.
HACES in Waukegan has scheduled the following dates and times where volunteers are needed:
- Thursdays Sept. 14, 21, 28 from 1 PM to 7 PM
- Saturday, Sept. 16 from 9 AM to 1 PM with a training session beginning at 8 AM
If you are interested in volunteering, contact HACES at 847-244- 0300 or Maria Elena Jonas at firstname.lastname@example.org. HACES is located at 820 WS. Greenwood in Waukegan. You can also contact me, Holly Kerr, at email@example.com if you have any questions.
Action: Advocate for the rights of Americans who are being targeted by ICE for how they look.
This is about ICE’s incivility toward immigrants and people of color.
Call: Governor Rauner’s office
Script: I am deeply concerned about ICE’s increasing aggression in our communities throughout the state. In Virginia, for example, ICE is stopping legal citizens to ask for proof of citizenship because of how they look. This creates a hostile environment for citizens and immigrants–and makes us all less safe. I am calling to request that Gov. Rauner contact Homeland Security Sec. Kelly and express his/her desire to “insure domestic tranquility.”