Put your name on Illinois Senator Julie Morrison’s petition to tell the Illinois Senate to “Fix the FOID” by passing her bill, SB 1966.
Background: The Fix the FOID Act is a comprehensive package aimed at addressing problems with Firearm Owners Identification (FOID) cards. It would:
- Reduce the valid term of a FOID card from 10 years to 5 years
- Require that all FOID card applications include a set of fingerprints
- Raise the application fee from $10 to $20
- Require that firearm transactions take place at a federally licensed dealer
- Call for creation of a task force of state and local enforcement to ensure that individuals whose FOID cards have lapsed or been revoked have surrendered their cards and transferred their firearms
If these measures had been in place a year ago, they could have prevented two highly publicized shootings in Illinois. These are not onerous requirements and are necessary to make our communities safer.