Initial Numbers for ACA Enrollment – Over 600,000 Sign Up in the First Four Days!
The Washington Post reports that more than one in five of these are new enrollees. The increase in numbers is despite the Trump Administration undercutting the process by shortening the enrollment period by half, slashing the TV and radio advertising budget and cutting navigator funding. State run exchanges are also reporting brisk business as the enrollment period begins according to CNN Money
However, this trend doesn’t predict overall ACA success as the numbers tend to fall off during the latter part of the enrollment period. The sickest people who need insurance the most tend to sign up first, but the success of the ACA marketplace also depends on healthier people signing up to balance the risk pool. It is important for all of us to keep spreading the word about the enrollment period and where to find help with the process (see below).
Additional Information About ACA Enrollment
From Protect Our Care IL Newsletter:
|Here are the top 5 things you need to know about Open Enrollment:|
- Open enrollment is only half as long this year (Nov 1 – Dec 15).
- Discounts on health coverage (through tax credits and cost sharing reductions) are STILL available to those who qualify.
- It’s important to shop around – the pricing of premiums is very different this year. In Illinois, you can go to HealthCare.gov or GetCoveredIllinois.gov. Eighty percent of people can get a plan for $75 or less and many in Illinois can get a bronze plan for free.
- You may qualify for 2018 tax credits even if you didn’t in 2017. If you aren’t eligible for tax credits (check this calculator to make sure), go to GetCoveredIllinois.gov and see if you can find a cheaper plan off marketplace.
- Free help is available! If you have questions about signing up or want to talk through your options with a trained professional, you can make an appointment with a trained navigator here or call Get Covered Illinois at 866-311-1119.