Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America (www.momsdemandaction.org) is a non-partisan, grassroots movement of Americans demanding common-sense solutions to the gun violence that endangers our children, families and communities.
Moms Demand Action works across the country with all kinds of Americans who know there is more we can do to prevent gun violence. As the grassroots force of Everytown for Gun Safety, we are part of the largest gun violence prevention organization in the country. We do this work because every day, 93 Americans die from gun violence and hundreds more are injured. This violence affects everyone, everywhere. It strikes big cities, small towns and rural communities. It disproportionately affects communities of color, and American women are 11 times more likely to be murdered with a gun than women in other developed countries.
We can support the Second Amendment while doing much more to keep guns out of the hands of dangerous people and create a culture of responsible gun ownership. That’s why we advocate for the following, evidence-based goals to keep our families and communities safe:
- Closing deadly loopholes in our background check system that let dangerous people like felons, domestic abusers and terrorists easily access guns.
- Promoting gun safety so our children and communities will no longer be at an unacceptable level of risk.
- Supporting reasonable limits on when, where and how loaded guns are carried and used in public places.
- Creating enforceable laws that address gun trafficking and fraudulent purchasing to keep illegal guns off our streets.
For far too long, the conversation about gun violence in America has been dominated by those who stand to profit from easy access to guns, like gun manufacturers and the gun lobby. Meanwhile, American families are being destroyed by gun violence. Americans have had enough.
How to Help:
- Encourage others to join Moms Demand Action: When you become a member of the fastest-growing grassroots organization to combat gun violence, you support campaigns for meaningful changes that prevent shootings.
- Learn the Facts: Follow Moms Demand Action and Moms Demand Action – IL on Facebook and Twitter, get real data about American gun laws and policy – and their impact on our communities.
- Be SMART: store guns locked, unloaded and separately from ammunition and talk to other adults about securely storing guns at home and in vehicles.