Calls Week of November 6
Before you make those calls: Read our Blog post on being an efficient caller.
Representative Schneider and Senators Duckworth and Durbin this week:
Tell Representative Schneider*:
- Advocate for the economic rights of our poorest neighbors
- Advocate for poor Americans who make less than $18,600 per year and for middle class families who stand to lose tax benefits
- Thank Representative Schneider for speaking out on this issue in his statement.
Tell your Representative and Senators*:
Tell your Senators*:
- Support a clean DREAM act
- Thank Senator Durbin for Co-sponsoring the bill.
- Urge Senator Duckworth to become a co-sponsor.
- Oppose the nomination of Thomas Farr to a lifetime appointment to the US District Court
- Hundreds of civil rights groups oppose him because of his demonstrated opposition to voting rights, workers’ rights, and civil rights. This appointment is dangerous for democracy.
- Urge Senators Duckworth and Durbin to vote “No” on this nomination
*Q: Why do I tell my Representative and Senators different lists of issues? Why don’t I read them all the same script?
A: Because certain responsibilities originate in the House of Representative (tax bills start there) and other responsibilities originate in the Senate (confirmations of appointees).
Continue reading “Legislator Calls: November 6, 2017”
You are invited to join Congressman Brad Schneider and United States Citizenship and Immigration Services at the historic Genesee Theatre on October 17, at 11AM, to witness over 200 people take their oath of citizenship and become new American Citizens.
Date: October 17, 2017
Address:: Genesee Theatre, 203 North Genesee Street, Waukegan
Time: Ceremony starts at 11 AM sharp; please plan to arrive earlier
Parking: There is a garage a block west and a lot a block east
Because of Trump’s announcement that DACA will terminate in six months, all current DACA recipients must re-apply by October 5, 2017 in order to get a two-year renewal. Numerous immigration organizations are holding workshops to help with this process.
HACES in Waukegan has scheduled the following dates and times where volunteers are needed:
- Thursdays Sept. 14, 21, 28 from 1 PM to 7 PM
- Saturday, Sept. 16 from 9 AM to 1 PM with a training session beginning at 8 AM
If you are interested in volunteering, contact HACES at 847-244- 0300 or Maria Elena Jonas at firstname.lastname@example.org. HACES is located at 820 WS. Greenwood in Waukegan. You can also contact me, Holly Kerr, at email@example.com if you have any questions.
Take Action Now to Protect Dreamers
Trump dealt a stunning blow to Dreamers last week when he announced the DACA program will be phased out by March 6th, 2018. But many DACA and would-be DACA recipients are vulnerable now. Take a few minutes to make some calls to show your support for America’s Dreamers:
Sen. Tammy Duckworth: 202-224-2854
Sen. Dick Durbin: 202-224-2152
Rep Brad Schneider: 202-225-4835
Durbin: Thank you for sponsoring the Dream Act S.1615. Please continue your hard work pushing this legislation through Congress. I support this bill, and stand with you and our nation’s Dreamers.
Duckworth: Congress has several options to protect DACA recipients. Can I count on you to support the Dream Act S.1615? Thank you.
Schneider: Congress has several options to protect DACA recipients. Can I count on you to support the American Hope Act H.R. 3591 and Bridge Act H.R. 496? Thank you.
Trump is poised to let DACA expire and is making a statement on Tuesday, 9/5.
If this happens then 800,000 young immigrants, who have lived in the U.S. since childhood, will lose jobs, be forced out of college, and face the risk of immediate deportation. We can’t let that happen. Here’s how you can help:
- Call your MoCs and let them know that taking legal status away from these brave young DACA recipients so Trump can deport them is immoral and wrong. Here’s more for your message: http://bit.ly/2vTH0qP
- Call the @HouseGOP and @SenateGOP. Tell them they have a choice: side w/ 800,000+ young immigrants and protect them… or uphold Trump’s hate agenda. Ask them which side of history they want to be on. You’ll find key GOP phone numbers at defenddaca.com. Call them.
- Attend the press conference following Trump’s announcement on Tuesday, 9/5 at the Federal Plaza at 5:30.
Please stand up for our nation’s Dreamers.
Immigrants are our neighbors and shouldn’t have to live in fear. Please call Gov. Rauner today.
Here’s the script:
My name is ___. I am an Illinois resident. I’d like to thank the Governor for his commitment to sign the TRUST Act, and ask that he sign the bill immediately. Thank you.
Springfield: 217-782-0244 Chicago: 312-814-2121
Last week I attended my first Citizenship swearing in ceremony. I was there as a volunteer with ICIRR (Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights) to help sign up new citizens to vote. With the Motor Voter registration form, it takes a couple of minutes to fill in the form. It was a bit of a mad house- after everyone has received their Citizenship Certificates, they either go up and have their photos taken in front of the American flag- or just come out of the room enmasse with family and friends. That’s when we are there handing out voter registration forms and suggesting they stay long enough to fill out the form and we will submit it for them. Of the 114 candidates, we got 71 new voters. What a great day for America- and for our new citizens. If you would like to volunteer to help with voter registration, there are weekly ceremonies most Monday through Thursday. Just contact Louisa Sosa at ICIRR at firstname.lastname@example.org.
By Holly K